Fact from Fiction

Saturday, February 19, 2011

And the winner is...Monita!  Okay, so Monita was the only one to guess, but she was absolutely right; number 3 was the fact in the list of fictions in the previous post.  Here are the "truths" about all five statements:

  1. I actually did see Bill Murray at CDG, but instead of sipping wine at a bar, he was waiting in line to board his flight.  (Celebs--they're just like regular people!)  Either way, I didn't talk to him, mainly because every time I see someone famous in person I imagine what it must be like to have strangers constantly asking for your autograph/picture or just wanting to talk with you, and I imagine it must get really tiresome, so I never actually talk to them, I just admire them from afar.  (And occasionally sneak a pic under the guise of photographing a friend.  *cough* Dr. Dre *cough, cough*)
  2. I actually did work on Big Fish, and the set for the town of Specter was built from scratch on this little island in the middle of a lake near Prattville, AL.  The day I went out there with Kari, another production assistant, to check in the extras, we did sneak on set so she could take some pictures (why, oh why, didn't I have my camera?!) but they hadn't started shooting yet, so I don't think that was technically against the rules.  And nothing fell on my head, and we didn't get "caught."  The set guys who were wandering around were pretty cool about us being there, actually.
  3. This is the true statement.  I did take anywhere from 19-22 hours almost every semester I was in undergrad so that I could have a light senior year, mostly because I figured I would need more time that year to look for jobs or apply to grad school and not be worried about writing my senior thesis (which I actually wrote and presented my junior year).  Instead, senior year I took fun electives like backpacking and dream psychology and advanced fiction writing, and I did an honors project--editing an anthology of short fiction--which was a lot of fun and really improved my writing.
  4. I never wanted to be a skateboarder, though I have always loved the X-Games, skateboarding, and skateboarders. (Bob Burnquist, anyone?)
  5. I did take a course to be certified in small vessel sailing, but I never filed my paperwork.  In the end, although I loved sailing and being out on the water (and I never ran into anything!), I knew sailing wasn't something I'd ever really want to do alone.  It's a lot of work, and when it comes down to it, I'm just too lazy to want to be more than a passenger or to occasionally man the jib on someone else's boat.  My sailing experience is going to come in handy with one of the characters in my new W.I.P.--but more on that later!
So there you have it!  I few fun facts about me.  I've got a few other posts in the works, so I'll hopefully be back later this weekend or early next week with interesting writing news.  Until then, I'll be grading and enjoying this fabulous spring-in-February weather!

1 comments:

Anonymous,  March 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM  

Quick note--Bret Anthony Johnston, director of the Creative Writing program at Harvard (and and old professor of mine), is a skateboarder. He actually talks at length about the relationship between writing and skateboarding.

Check out his comments here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4456359

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/skateboarderinterview.html

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP